View of businesses on the north side of Main Street in Mendocino, looking northwest, c. 1877.
On the right is the home of William Gibbs, aka “Sam Slick,” who operated Sam Slick’s Saloon in the front part of his house. Gibbs and his family lived in the rear.
Next business to the left is the C. O. Packard Drug Store. This space also included his brother J. E. Packard’s jewelry and watch repair shop.
To the left of the drug store is the S. Marks & Co. Furniture Store, which would later become the Remedy Store, and more recently Highlight Gallery. The photo shows how the building looked before the decorative front was added.
The next building is the home and barber shop of John Barry with John and his children sitting in the doorway. In 1893, George Switzer would buy the Barry building and move it onto his lot on the corner of Howard and Albion streets. It would later become the Headlands Inn.
Finally, the two-story building with the upper bay windows houses the Jarvis & Nichols General Merchandise Store on the northeast corner of Kasten Street. The lower floor of this building is currently occupied by Gallery Bookshop.
Part of the Chung Kow Wash House and Laundry is visible on the left edge of the image. Located on the northwest corner of Kasten and Main Streets, this building was demolished in 1906 and replaced by a bank building that would later be the home of the Out of This World store.
The date of this photograph is based on the presence of the Packard Stores that began in 1877, and the absence of W. T. Wilson’s Oyster and Coffee Saloon, which did not open on the east side of the Jarvis & Nichols building until May of 1878.
Cat Mother: Mendocino Coast Music Exhibit – Join us for live music and a panel discussion on Saturday, June 4, 1pm – 4:30pm. Suggested Donation: $5.