CarolD

About Carol Dominy

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Carol Dominy has created 459 blog entries.

Russian Gulch Bridge Dedication

June 9, 1940 - California Governor Culbert Olson and Secretary of State Paul Peek spoke at the dedication ceremony for the new bridge over Russian Gulch. Following the speeches by Governor Olson and Secretary Peek, the Governor’s party had the honor of being the first to drive across the newly constructed bridge. Other motorists waited three more weeks for construction to be completed. The bridge opened [...]

By |2024-06-09T13:21:14-07:00June 9, 2024|

Death of John Figaro

John Figaro with his parents, Manuel and Mary, c. 1890. (Eleanor Sverko Collection) June 3, 1919 - John Figaro died in a New York hospital at the age of 32 after a short illness. At the time of his death, he was returning from his military service overseas. Born in Mendocino in 1887, John was the oldest child of Manuel and Mary (Maderia-Saudades) Figaro. [...]

By |2024-06-02T14:53:34-07:00June 3, 2024|

What is He Doing to Her Hair?

Mendocino Masonic Hall, c. 1960. These two photographs, taken about 65 years apart, show the Masonic Hall located on the northwest corner of Lansing and Ukiah Streets in Mendocino. This historic structure, one of the oldest buildings still standing in town, was surveyed in May 1976 for the State Office of Historic Preservation by Kelley House Museum co-founder Beth Stebbins. The Mendocino Masonic Lodge, [...]

By |2024-05-25T13:22:45-07:00May 30, 2024|

Dollard Post of the Grand Army of the Republic

  Dollard Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, standing on Main Street in Mendocino on Decoration Day, 1883. (Gift of Emery Escola) The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), founded in Springfield, Illinois in 1866, was a fraternal organization of veterans who served in the Union armed forces during the Civil War. The first GAR Commander-in-Chief, General John A. Logan, called for [...]

By |2024-05-26T13:39:17-07:00May 27, 2024|

Choose One, or the Other, or Both by Alexander Wood

The Kelley House Museum’s current exhibit, Nathaniel Smith: Mendocino’s First African American Resident, was funded by a grant from California Humanities. The grant supported research by Alexander Wood into the life of Nathaniel Smith. Below is an excerpt from Wood’s paper on Smith’s arrival in, and the naming of, Cuffey’s Cove. Smith’s arrival on the Mendocino coast on a whaling ship with a Sausalito crew is [...]

By |2024-05-22T17:03:00-07:00May 9, 2024|

Hellsgate Dam Demolished

April 29, 1950 - The Mendocino Beacon reported that the Union Lumber Company had demolished Hellsgate Dam on the Southfork of Big River. This dam, which was used for logging operations from 1913 until 1937, was located about 40 miles upstream from Mendocino. Undated photo of Hellsgate Dam. Hellsgate Logging Camp can be seen in the background. (Gift of Emery Escola) In his 1991 [...]

By |2024-04-29T09:53:56-07:00April 29, 2024|

If These Walls Could Talk

These two photographs, taken about 50 years apart, show the Seagull Inn Bed & Breakfast on Albion Street between Lansing and Howard streets in Mendocino. The building began as a family residence, constructed by Mendocino pioneer George Switzer in 1878. Born in Ontario, Canada in 1839 to Christopher and Margaret (Buck) Switzer, George was raised on the family’s farm. He left for California at the age [...]

By |2024-04-23T14:15:10-07:00April 25, 2024|

Mansion House Hotel on Lansing Street, 1883-1884

The Mansion House Hotel on Lansing Street, 1883-1884. (Gift of Emery Escola) A view of Lansing Street looking southwest from Hillcrest Cemetery. A large sign, mounted in 1883 on the roof of the three-story building in the center of the image, declares this to be the Mansion House, a fine hotel located on the southwest corner of Lansing and Little Lake Streets. The hotel burned down [...]

By |2024-04-22T15:16:59-07:00April 23, 2024|

Bad Day at Big River by Molly Dwyer

Studio portrait of Thomas Dollard, c. 1875. (Gift of Hazel Jarvis Edwards) [This article was originally printed in the Mendocino Beacon on February 7th, 2013.] On October 15, 1879, the Beacon reported that Mendocino had been “…thrown into a state of excitement hitherto unparalleled by the occurrence of a shocking calamity….Two of our most esteemed citizens were atrociously murdered and a third wounded within [...]

By |2024-04-15T15:21:53-07:00April 18, 2024|

Frank and Nettie Allen

April 7, 1878 - Frank Allen and Nettie Shuman were married by Rev. W. R. Stewart at the Mendocino Presbyterian Church. Their wedding announcement in the Mendocino Beacon ended with: “May their wedded life be happy; may they live long and prosper.” Frank Allen, his wife Nettie, and their two children Nettie and Warren, posing in front of the Carroll House in Mendocino, about 1898. [...]

By |2024-04-06T15:52:46-07:00April 7, 2024|
Go to Top