CarolD

About Carol Dominy

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Carol Dominy has created 465 blog entries.

Choose One, or the Other, or Both by Alexander Wood

The Kelley House Museum’s current exhibit, Nathaniel Smith: Mendocino’s First African American Resident, was funded by a grant from California Humanities. The grant supported research by Alexander Wood into the life of Nathaniel Smith. Below is an excerpt from Wood’s paper on Smith’s arrival in, and the naming of, Cuffey’s Cove. Smith’s arrival on the Mendocino coast on a whaling ship with a Sausalito crew is [...]

By |2024-05-22T17:03:00-07:00May 9, 2024|

Hellsgate Dam Demolished

April 29, 1950 - The Mendocino Beacon reported that the Union Lumber Company had demolished Hellsgate Dam on the Southfork of Big River. This dam, which was used for logging operations from 1913 until 1937, was located about 40 miles upstream from Mendocino. Undated photo of Hellsgate Dam. Hellsgate Logging Camp can be seen in the background. (Gift of Emery Escola) In his 1991 [...]

By |2024-04-29T09:53:56-07:00April 29, 2024|

If These Walls Could Talk

These two photographs, taken about 50 years apart, show the Seagull Inn Bed & Breakfast on Albion Street between Lansing and Howard streets in Mendocino. The building began as a family residence, constructed by Mendocino pioneer George Switzer in 1878. Born in Ontario, Canada in 1839 to Christopher and Margaret (Buck) Switzer, George was raised on the family’s farm. He left for California at the age [...]

By |2024-04-23T14:15:10-07:00April 25, 2024|

Mansion House Hotel on Lansing Street, 1883-1884

The Mansion House Hotel on Lansing Street, 1883-1884. (Gift of Emery Escola) A view of Lansing Street looking southwest from Hillcrest Cemetery. A large sign, mounted in 1883 on the roof of the three-story building in the center of the image, declares this to be the Mansion House, a fine hotel located on the southwest corner of Lansing and Little Lake Streets. The hotel burned down [...]

By |2024-04-22T15:16:59-07:00April 23, 2024|

Bad Day at Big River by Molly Dwyer

Studio portrait of Thomas Dollard, c. 1875. (Gift of Hazel Jarvis Edwards) [This article was originally printed in the Mendocino Beacon on February 7th, 2013.] On October 15, 1879, the Beacon reported that Mendocino had been “…thrown into a state of excitement hitherto unparalleled by the occurrence of a shocking calamity….Two of our most esteemed citizens were atrociously murdered and a third wounded within [...]

By |2024-04-15T15:21:53-07:00April 18, 2024|

Frank and Nettie Allen

April 7, 1878 - Frank Allen and Nettie Shuman were married by Rev. W. R. Stewart at the Mendocino Presbyterian Church. Their wedding announcement in the Mendocino Beacon ended with: “May their wedded life be happy; may they live long and prosper.” Frank Allen, his wife Nettie, and their two children Nettie and Warren, posing in front of the Carroll House in Mendocino, about 1898. [...]

By |2024-04-06T15:52:46-07:00April 7, 2024|

William Osborne

April 1, 1878 - William Osborne, the cook at the mill cookhouse on Big River Flat, celebrated April Fool’s Day by playing a practical joke on the Mendocino Mill workers. The Beacon reported that, “When they were seated at dinner about the time to partake of dessert, they all went for some nice looking pies that were placed before them. One young man, having a weakness [...]

By |2024-03-31T13:23:51-07:00April 1, 2024|

A Sweet Little Bungalow

These two photographs, taken almost a century apart, look northeast from just west of the intersection of Little Lake and Williams Streets in Mendocino. The front and west sides of the Gordon-Mendosa House, located at 45300 Little Lake Street, can be seen on the left sides of both photos. (More about the buildings on the right sides of the photos below.) This lot was vacant in [...]

By |2024-03-23T18:33:45-07:00March 28, 2024|

S. J. “Jesse” Chalfant

March 25, 1845 - S. J. “Jesse” Chalfant was born in Maryland, the son of well-known carpenter and builder William Chalfant and Elizabeth (Edwards) Chalfant. When Jesse was just 19 years old, he set out for California to join his older brothers, John and Aaron, who had settled on the Mendocino Coast in the 1850s. Jesse’s early years in California were spent in the lumber industry, [...]

By |2024-03-24T12:14:51-07:00March 25, 2024|

Meet the Smith Family by Alexander Wood

The Kelley House Museum recently opened a new exhibit—Nathaniel Smith: Mendocino’s First African American Resident. It was made possible by a grant from California Humanities to the museum, which funded research by Alexander Wood. The following is an excerpt from Wood’s report on the Smith family. Nathaniel Smith married Julia (or Julie) around 1890. Julia and both of her parents were born in California. She was [...]

By |2024-03-20T16:38:59-07:00March 21, 2024|
Go to Top