Valentine-Mason House – THEN and NOW

Valentine-Mason House, 1972. (Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs)

In the Spring of 1941, Frank and Anne Valentine began construction on this home, located on the northeast corner of Little Lake and Ford Streets. Mrs. Valentine’s father, Carl Sorensen of Oakland, was in charge of the construction work. In April, a concrete foundation was poured.

Anne was the Home Economics teacher at Mendocino High School for many years. From 1959 to 1979, Anne and Frank owned and operated Valentine’s Motel (later Valentine’s Lodge) just north of town.

By September, the Beacon reported that their new home was nearing completion. John Burbeck had just finished building a fireplace and chimney, and shingles were being put on the roof.

Valentine-Mason House, November 2021.

Frank and Anne sold this home to Earl and Bertha Mason in 1963.

Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.