Making History Blog

Big River Mill Pond

By |2025-09-05T12:27:20-07:00September 8, 2025|

The mill pond near the mouth of Big River was the final destination for the large rafts of logs floated downstream from the Boom to the Mendocino Mill. Central to moving these rafts was the “Maru,” a flat-bottomed scow launched in 1902 and powered by a steam-driven paddle wheel. Before its arrival, men guided the rafts by standing on top of the logs with long poles, [...]

Craft Brewing on the Mendocino Coast

By |2025-08-30T17:08:29-07:00September 4, 2025|

The Mendocino Coast has a long tradition of creativity, craftsmanship, and community spirit, and its beer scene is no exception. From humble beginnings in kitchens and garages to award-winning breweries, homebrewing has played a defining role in shaping the region’s beer culture. Homebrewer Jeff Neumeier (left) and Tall Guy Brewing’s Patrick Broderick (right) collaborate on a brew. (Photographer: Mateo Ortiz) In the 19th and [...]

The Mendocino Troubadours

By |2025-08-30T16:18:33-07:00September 1, 2025|

The Mendocino Troubadours were a much-loved local ensemble dedicated to bringing the music of the Middle Ages and Renaissance to life. Formed in the early 1970s by Sue Erlenkotter and Jerry Pitsenbarger, the group quickly became known for their festive holiday concerts and performances at the Mendocino Art Center, local churches, and community gatherings. The Mendocino Troubadours with an array of early music instruments, 1978. [...]

Russell Brook Dam

By |2025-08-29T15:17:20-07:00August 30, 2025|

Russell Brook Dam, a modest sixteen-foot structure on a tributary of Big River, was completed in 1907 by Alfred R. Johnston, a well-known logging boss and contractor. Built partly as a frame dam using logs, it stood one mile above the main river on Russell Brook. Smaller than many of the other dams on Big River, it was also the last dam Johnston built before his [...]

King of the Blind Piggers

By |2025-08-26T13:43:32-07:00August 28, 2025|

Come see the Blind Pig at the Kelley House until September 29th. In the early 20th century, few characters in Mendocino were as notorious or as colorful as Michael Dennis “Big Mike” Nolan. An Irish immigrant with a booming voice and a larger-than-life presence, Nolan was both a hard-working drayman and an infamous bootlegger who thumbed his nose at local prohibition laws long before [...]

Fire at Mendocino Grammar School

By |2025-08-25T12:58:12-07:00August 26, 2025|

The first Mendocino Grammar School was a landmark in the town’s history, serving local children for more than four decades. Before it was built, students attended classes in a small schoolhouse near the corner of Ukiah and Lansing Streets. By the early 1880s, the community had outgrown that building, and in 1884, the school board purchased more than four acres of land at the northeast corner [...]

Bankers’ Row on Little Lake Street, c. 1895

By |2025-08-21T14:41:41-07:00August 23, 2025|

This photograph captures three of the four houses on Mendocino’s “Bankers’ Row,” a block of elegant homes on Little Lake Street once associated with the town’s business and professional leaders. From left to right, the pictured homes are the C. O. Packard House, the Maxwell-Jarvis House, and the Albert Brown House. The Blair House, the fourth home on the block, stands just beyond the right edge [...]

Mendocino’s First School

By |2025-08-17T17:46:29-07:00August 21, 2025|

As students head back to school, it’s a good time to remember the roots of public education in Mendocino. In the 1980s, the Mendocino Genealogy Society sponsored a project titled What Became of the Little Red Schoolhouse? to document the many schools (over 200!) that existed in Mendocino County at one time or another. The following excerpt details the founding of Mendocino’s first school in the [...]

Denslow-Maxwell House

By |2025-08-17T16:28:18-07:00August 18, 2025|

The Denslow-Maxwell House on the northwest corner of Kasten and Calpella Streets is one of Mendocino’s most distinctive historic residences, with a past that reflects the town’s entrepreneurial spirit. In 1887, Charles W. Denslow, bookkeeper for the Mendocino Lumber Company, purchased the property and moved an existing small house to a nearby lot. He then hired master carpenter J. D. Johnson to build this handsome new [...]

Centennial Barbecue, 1952

By |2025-08-11T12:44:54-07:00August 16, 2025|

In August 1952, Mendocino celebrated the 100th anniversary of its founding with a weekend of festivities that drew an estimated 5,000 attendees. The event showcased the town’s history and community spirit with a parade, barbecue, antique show, and dancing. The celebration began Saturday at Kellieowen Hall, on the southwest corner of Lansing and Ukiah Streets, where local residents displayed a remarkable collection of antiques and heirlooms. [...]

Go to Top