Main Street in Mendocino looking east, c. 1934. Bishop’s General Store can be seen at the far left. The next building to its right is the Remedy Store with its distinctive round sign in front on the street. The buildings on the right, on the south side of Main Street, were owned by the Union Lumber Company, later Boise-Cascade, and were removed over time, the last one in 1961. Note the concrete sidewalks on either side of the unpaved street, and the electric streetlight hanging above the intersection of Main and Kasten Streets. The large cypress trees seen at the end of the view belong to the Kelley House.
New Exhibit! The Kelley House pays tribute to legendary local ‘70s band Cat Mother with a collection of ephemera, albums, and artwork. Cat Mother was an eclectic rock band formed in Greenwich Village, New York in 1967. By 1970, Cat Mother was living on the Mendocino Coast inspiring locals with outdoor “Boogies” and sparking creativity and community on the coast. Museum Hours: Thurs – Sun, 11 AM – 3 PM.