Liberty Theatre Sold

Liberty Theatre on the left, 1923. On the right, this photo shows the demolition of the former Switzer and Boyd Livery Stables on the northwest corner of Albion and Lansing Streets. The building was torn down by George Daniels to make way for his large automobile garage, now referred to as the Shell Building.


The building farther down the street at the intersection with Main Street is the old Kelley Store building. At the time this photo was taken, it was sometimes called Crockett’s Corner. The proprietor, David Crockett, operated a confectionery & ice cream parlor, lunch counter and moving picture house. (Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs)

July 12, 1924 – Asa Bishop, a well-liked clerk at Burtt Elliott’s general merchandise store, announced that he was buying the Liberty Theatre from Dave C. Crockett. Located in the Kelley building, the business also included a soda fountain, confectionery, and ice cream parlor.

In addition to Moving Picture shows 6 days per week (no show on Mondays), Bishop also sold camera film and offered film development with 24-hour turnaround. Later that year, his ice cream sales were so phenomenal, the National Ice Cream Company installed a three-compartment cabinet in his ice cream parlor.

In 1930, Bishop sold his business to E. E. Pollock of Sebastopol, who installed Talking Picture equipment. The first “Talkie” shown at the new Coast Theater was “The Desert Song,” featuring Operatic Tenor John Boles in the lead role.

Mendocino and the Movies: Hollywood and TV Motion Pictures Filmed on the Mendocino Coast” by Bruce Levene. More than 50 films from 1904 to 2001 used local scenery and local actors. $20.