July 13, 1912 – The Farmers & Apple Growers Association announced plans to build Apple Hall. This 40 by 100 foot exhibition hall was built to house the annual Apple Fair.
The previous Fall, a group of local farmers had organized an agricultural fair to display their products. That first Apple Fair was held in the Odd Fellows Hall with a limited number of exhibits and included entertainment, concessions, and sporting events.
To expand the fair in 1912, the Association constructed their own hall on donated land on the southeast corner of Kasten and Little Lake Streets. The second annual Apple Fair opened on October 23 at the newly completed Apple Hall. The fruit exhibition was held in this new building, while the Odd Fellows Hall continued as the entertainment venue.
The Apple Fairs continued in Mendocino for several years, but by the mid-1920s, Boonville became the host of the Apple Fair. Apple Hall was then used as a community center and a gymnasium for the high school. By 1935, the building had fallen into a state of disrepair, and the High School trustees voted to hold a bond election to build a new high school gymnasium.
In 1941, the county tax collector offered Apple Hall for sale to pay delinquent taxes. Two men from Lake County bought the building and dismantled it for the lumber in 1944.
Today, this property is the site of the Mendocino Baptist Church building, which was constructed in 1956-1957.
Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.