THEN: Looking west towards the Kelley House pond, April 1975. Homer Drinkwater operated a market in the building in the background from 1947 to 1974.
In April 1975, Robert Peterson, founder of the Jack in the Box fast-food chain and owner of the Mendocino Hotel, presented the deed to the Kelley House property to Mendocino Historical Research, Inc. (later, the Kelley House Museum), for its restoration and preservation efforts. Peterson’s roots were in early Mendocino. His father was born here, and his grandfather worked in the mill for 22 years.
Before its purchase by Peterson, the Kelley House property had been owned by the Kelley Family for 114 years.
NOW: August 2022. In 1976, the Mendosa water tower, located at the end of Pine Street behind their grocery store, was dismantled and rebuilt on the east side of the market building. A staircase was constructed within its structural members to provide an entrance to businesses that occupied the second-floor space. These have included Edmeades Vineyards Tasting Room (aka Mendocino Wine Guild), Bay View Cafe, Brannon’s Whale Watch Restaurant, and Flow Restaurant.
Two events in one day! Sunday, August 14. The “Stump to Ship” walking tour to learn about Mendocino’s logging history at 11 am. At 3:30 pm, Katy Tahja leads a “Sunday Afternoon with the Illustrators” discussion about cartoonists of the 70’s and 80’s on the coast. Call 707-937-5791 for more info.