November 7, 1907 – August “Gus” Johnson was installing concrete sidewalks around town. The Beacon reported that a 9-foot-wide sidewalk was being put down in front of the Jarvis & Nichols Store (today’s Gallery Bookshop) on Main Street. This strip of concrete stretched 300 feet from the corner of Main and Kasten Streets eastward to Dr. Peirsol’s drugstore.
During the same week, Johnson also laid concrete sidewalks in front of the residences of John Silvia and C. O. Packard, and in December, the properties of H. H. Jarvis and Fred W. Stickney were added to Johnson’s growing list.
The Beacon observed that Mendocino was “going to look quite metropolitan” when the concrete sidewalk projects were completed. “Johnson has shown by his work here in the past that he is a mechanic who understands his business and the work will be a credit to himself and the town.”
Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.