On this day in Mendocino history…
February 7, 1965 – Edward G. Brown, noted horseman and early-day Mendocino resident, died at a hospital in Colusa at the age of 83. He was the eldest son of Albert and Georgianna Brown of Mendocino.
Born in New Jersey, Edward came to Mendocino with his parents about 1883. Albert had accepted a position with his cousin, pioneer Mendocino merchant Eugene Brown. The Albert Brown family first moved into the home on the southwest corner of Calpella and Kasten Streets, but in 1884, Albert purchased 45130 Little Lake Street, which remained the family home for many years.
Edward graduated from the Mendocino elementary and high schools. He loved livestock and horses, and at an early age, he helped Harvey Reynolds bring beef cattle from Humboldt and Mendocino County ranches to Mendocino, before later going into the cattle business for himself.
Horses were Edward’s first love, and he established himself on a ranch south of Santa Rosa where he raised horses and bred high-class saddle stock, which he continued right up until his last years. In 1926, he married Myrtle Strong, and she became his business associate. Together, they bred Appaloosa horses, winning many ribbons and cups at county fairs and horse shows.
Edward never lost interest in his home town, and was a constant reader of the Beacon, writing a personal letter to Auggie Heeser at least once every year. Edward was survived by his wife Myrtle and his sister, Blanche Blair.
Early Mendocino Coast by Katy Tahja – From the Sonoma County line to the Humboldt County line a century ago. A tribute to the creativity and perseverance of the common working man. Images of America series. $22.