November 2, 1907 – The Mendocino Beacon reported that, “A. F. Luiz has had a new crosswalk put in from his store to the post office – a worthy enterprise.”
Antone F. Luiz owned a general merchandise store, located on the north side of Main Street east of the intersection with Kasten Street. This building would later house his son’s Toggery clothing store, followed by the Remedy Store & News Stand, the Remedy Arcade, and most recently Highlight Gallery.
From 1889 to 1958, the Mendocino Post Office occupied a building on the south side of Mendocino’s Main Street that belonged to the Mendocino Lumber Company. In 1958, the post office moved into a newly-constructed building on the north side of Main just one door east of Luiz’s former store. Old Gold jewelry store occupies that building today.
The old post office building on the south side of Main Street was demolished in 1958.
Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.