December 24, 1903 – Santa arrived at the large building on the southwest corner of Lansing and Ukiah Streets, where The Study Club and many other businesses are located today.
A party for the Sunday School children who attended the Kelley Baptist Church (where Corners of the Mouth is located today) was in full swing. According to the Beacon, “The Baptist people provided two trees in the old Temperance hall through the courtesy of Mrs. W. H. [Eliza] Kelley. She also provided peanuts and popcorn to every man, woman, and child in the room, and numerous nice presents to members of the Sunday school. Nice programs were rendered at both trees.”
The Mendocino Presbyterian Church also had a tree for their Sunday School children that day. “The Presbyterian tree was in the church and was very attractively decorated. Ornamentation was made especially pretty by the addition of 20 colored incandescent electric lights, arranged by Frank Simons.”
The Catholic Church held a party at Crown Hall, a few days after Christmas. The tree at Crown Hall “was attractively arranged and served to gladden the hearts of the many children who attend the Catholic Sunday school. Afterwards, the older ones indulged themselves in a little dancing. The music was furnished by J. F. Murray and William Smith.”
Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.