Justin Packard House, 1881 – 1887. The Justin Packard House at 44780 Main Street in Mendocino. Justin, his wife Emma, and their young daughter Elsie, stand posed in the front yard. The house was built for the Packards in 1881 by O. B Ackerman. The water tower in the back is no longer standing. Evergreen Street is not evident in this photo. It was first called Packard Street because Packard built it on the west side of his property in 1887. (Gift of Emery Escola, Emery Escola Collection, Kelley House Photographs)
More historical photos of Mendocino available in “Perley Maxwell’s Mendocino,” by Bruce Levene. Includes the Mendocino High School Photography Students 2002 Then & Now Project. $25.