On this day in Mendocino history…
June 23, 1926 – The Camp Fire Girls returned to Mendocino from their camping trip on Big River. They had spent two weeks camping near the Lumber Company’s Lower Ranch.
The longest hike taken was up the river to Two-Log. Each girl carried her own food and blankets. After an invigorating swim at Two-Log, the girls cooked supper over an open camp fire. The next morning, the girls hiked back from Two-Log to their camp fighting off wood ticks and blackberry brambles.
“The girls all agreed they had a splendid time and the eats – well, they couldn’t be beat.”
Mendocino City: A Daily Journal 1852-1938 by W. Francis Jackson – Historical Mendocino news organized by day. Each month includes collections of photos and a detailed map of the town. $18. https://www.kelleyhousemuseum.org/store/