By Martha Davis Wagner (Note: Long time Kelley House supporter and patron, Martha wrote this article in 2006 for a newsletter. We re-print it here in conjunction with our current museum exhibit, “When Farm to Table was Everyday.”) Apples have been growing throughout Mendocino County since the 1800’s, both commercially and as family sustenance. About 1847 good-named varieties became available. Mendocino as well as its closest [...]
Out of the Kelley House Archives comes the story of Miss Ethel Nelson, born in Mendocino 1883, daughter of Elizabeth May (Bessie) Carlson and Captain Henry Nelson, owner of the Wilson Hotel on Main Street in Mendocino, as well as ship captain for the barkentine, Servia. Henry and Bessie married in Mendocino on January 18, 1882. She was the granddaughter of a pioneer who brought a complete [...]
Alvin Mendosa of Mendocino identified the men in this 1979 photograph by John Uhlar as John Mendosa (left) and Walter Jackson (right) in front of the Mendocino Post Office.
This photograph has been identified as the "Melody Mixers." A previous group "The Coast Harmonizers" disbanded in September 1938 and from this, a new group was formed.The musicians who made up the band were Carl Tuomala, tenor sax, Cabby Newgard, alto sax, Vinnie Bacci, drums, Annie Baccaria Rossi, accordion and Vernon Quaill, trumpet.