by Bruce Rogerson, Ginny Rorby and Jim Kimbrell
The history of Point Cabrillo and its light station is divided into two parts: before 1850, when a shipwreck changed the course of coastal history, and after. The early history is geological and anthropological; the later history is all about the opening of the Mendocino coast to logging and fishing and, eventually, to the construction of the light station in 1909. Numerous black and white photos cover the light station years, its closing in the 1970s, and its restoration in the late 1990s.
Mendocino Historical Review XXIII, 2009.