December 3, 1925 – The General Science class at Mendocino High School organized a science club, mostly composed of members of the Class of 1928. The elected officers of the club were: President, Hugh Granskog; Vice-president, Grace Nichols; Secretary, Ernest Gossett; Treasurer, Thelma Smith; Librarian, Harold Reep; Sgt. at Arms, Charles Jarvinen; and Scout, Ernest Handelin.
According to Science Club Secretary Ernest Gossett, “The purpose of the club is to increase knowledge of science by giving interesting and educational programs each Friday at 2:20 pm. The public is cordially invited to attend whenever a program of especial interest is given.”
In 1927, the science club staged a two-act play called, “The Cinderella of the Metals.” This retold story of Cinderella featured characters represented by metals from the Periodic Table. “Copper”, portrayed by Inez Philbrick, was the hard-working, under-appreciated Cinderella; “Gold”, Edna Huett, and “Silver”, Jane Cleary, were Cinderella’s beautiful, conceited step-sisters; “Radium”, Elma Tahja, was the fairy-godmother; and “Potassium”, Swante Johnson, was the prince.
Following this performance, the Science Club appears to have disbanded. The next mention of a Mendocino High School Science Club in the Beacon is 1958.
Join us on Saturday, December 4th from 5-7 pm for our Holiday Open House. We’re decking the halls with a Victorian Christmas theme and serving light refreshments from Fog Eater Café. Spirits courtesy of Mendocino Spirits, Seebass Winery and Husch Winery. Caroling by MHS Chamber Singers, and hammer dulcimer by Victor Simon. Vaccination required to enter. Free. The Kelley House Museum is located at 45007 Albion Street, Mendocino.