Intersection of Main and Lansing Streets, 1957.
Traffic signs at the intersection of Main and Lansing Streets in Mendocino, looking eastward. At the time this photo was taken, Lansing Street was Highway 1 through town.
The pine tree visible on the right side in this intersection was planted by Dr. Russell Preston (1878-1954), and in 1965 it became the community Christmas tree with lights and ornaments. The triangle around it would be landscaped the next year by the Presbyterian Youth Fellowship in memory of Mike Hill, who was lost to the ocean while surfing on January 17, 1966.
The board fence encloses empty lots owned at this time by the Kelley Estate. They would later become Rotary Park in 2013.
The white house in the background on the left is the Lansing House. To the right is Schlafer’s Garage, built in 1914, with its corrugated metal roof. The steeple of the Mendocino Presbyterian Church, built in 1867, is visible on the right. (Gift of Bette Duke, Robert R. Duke Collection, Kelley House Photographs)
Neighbors Across the Pond – Vintage Photographs & Objects from the Ford & Kelley Family Collections. Exhibit includes glass bottles, dolls, and clay pipes excavated from the historic Kelley Pond. Thursdays through Sundays, 11 am to 3 pm. Located at 45007 Albion Street, Mendocino.