Heeser House and Odd Fellows Hall, 1898 – 1906

Photograph capturing a view looking northwest in Mendocino taken by Perley Maxwell, probably from a water tower on Albion Street. The large two-story building is the second Odd Fellows Hall, located on the northeast corner of Ukiah and Kasten Streets. It was partially demolished in 1955 and turned into apartments and offices. To its right is the hall’s out house, which still stands in 2022. A corner of the Beacon building can be seen to its right. 

Elevated view of buildings

The buildings in the foreground are a part of the Kasten-Heeser House compound. Behind the house, the construction of the Heeser water tower, which was constructed sometime between 1898 and 1906, was underway at the time this picture was taken, with the first platform finished and awaiting the installation of its two water tanks. 

Another Heeser structure is in view – Heeser’s Barn, seen in the upper right of the frame, located on the northwest corner of Kasten and Little Lake Streets. It was demolished around 1940. (Gift of Emery Escola)

Walking Tours of Historic Mendocino – Join our expert docents for a stroll and lively commentary. You’ll pass by early pioneer homes, historic meeting places, and buildings that make up the the Mendocino Historic District.