Elevated view of Mendocino buildings and the intersection of Lansing and Albion Streets, looking northeast. This photo was likely taken from the water tower at the Kelley House between 1912 and 1922. 

Elevated view of historical buildingsThe barn-like building on the far left, located on the northwest corner of the intersection, is the livery stable built by William H. Kelley, later owned by Switzer & Boyd, then by Boyd & Daniels, and demolished in 1923. George Daniels built an automobile garage on this site that year, which later housed Tyrell’s Garage, and today is occupied by commercial shops.

Across Lansing Street, the building to the left with a large front opening is a blacksmith shop. It was later demolished, and the Mendocino Volunteer Fire Department station was built on this property in 1939. The lot to the left of the blacksmith shop is not yet occupied by Gospel Hall. Constructed in 1922, that building would later became the Sea Gull Inn & Restaurant and burned down in 1976.

The building right of the blacksmith shop with a single window in the second level of the false front belonged to Kelley. It once housed a bakery, then barber shops owned by Samuel Jeans and then by Antone B. Lemos, who also lived here with his family upstairs and in the rear of the building. Note the striped barber pole in the street in front of the building. In the last part of the 20th century, this structure was occupied by a real estate office and today houses the Mendocino Café. 

The small, one-story structure on the corner of Albion Street was built by Kelley in 1880 as a photography gallery, with a dwelling in the rear. Until it was demolished in 1924, it was occupied by many other businesses, including a millinery & dress shop, a shoe shop, a cigar factory, a tailor shop, a repair shop, a candy store, and a vegetable stand.