Making History Blog

Many of these articles have been published in the Mendocino Beacon’s Kelley House Calendar.

Headlands History

Headlands History
Meat Market on the South side of Main Street, 1957. Originally built in 1874, the structure always housed a meat market on its ground floor. It was one of just a few of the many Company buildings still standing when it was torn down in the summer of 1960 by its owner, the Union Lumber Company. SOUTH of MAIN – Discovering the Lost Buildings of the Mendocino Headlands opens next week at the Kelley House Museum. The exhibit takes visitors on[... see full page]

Call for Writers

Call for Writers
What do all of the 80 people listed below have in common?
  • Cammie Conlon
  • Ramelle Irish
  • Dorothy Bear
  • Elinor Hayes
  • Wally Smith
  • Daniel Taylor
  • Anne B Campbell
  • Dee Stenbeck Lemos
  • Charles Meigs Bush
  • Wilma Tucker
  • Patricia Patty Madigan
  • Earlene Jankowicz
  • Jean Spencer Felton
  • Jone Lemos Jackson
  • Pat Turner
  • Eva Welles
  • Priya Davis
  • Eleanor Sverko
  • Louis Hough
  • Steven Jordan
  • Joy Shaw
  • Martin Simpson
  • Katie Mimms
  • Carolyn (CJ) Cooper
  • Katy Tahja
  • Nancy Cruz
  • Warren[... see full page]

Brick by Brick - Mendocino County Brickyards

Brick by Brick - Mendocino County Brickyards
Brick in the Kelley House Museum walkway, originally from San Francisco’s City Hall, c. 1870. In the eternal quest historians undertake to date building construction, sometimes they turn to the common brick. Believe it or not we’ve had history professors visit the county who specialize in tracing the origin of bricks. In 1984 this same Kelley House Calendar column reported on Professor Margaret Henry of San Francisco State University dating bricks discovered around the Kelley House Museum. Like any reusable building material,[... see full page]

Nicknames on the Mendocino Coast

Nicknames on the Mendocino Coast
Francisco Faria, also known as Portugee Frank, was born in 1799 on the island of Pico in the Azores. As far as we know, he was the first Portuguese to come to the Mendocino Coast. When he died in 1904 at the advanced age of 105 years, he had lived during 3 centuries. Nannie Escola was a retired teacher and historian who contributed much to the Kelley House Museum. She passed on decades ago, but she left us with dozens of[... see full page]

Talking With … Emery Escola in 2000

Talking With … Emery Escola in 2000
Steve Jordan (left) and Emery Escola (center) with students Kahlil Robinson, Jonathan Matlin, and Matt Stephens in 2000. In was almost 20 years ago that students of Ryan Olson Day’s Options Class at the Mendocino Middle School created an oral history project with the help of Steve Jordan and a grant obtained by Deena Zarlin. They made audio recordings of their interviews with 12 “Old Timers,” who told these children what it was like in the first part of the 20th century. Kept[... see full page]

Dolls That Tell Our Stories

Dolls That Tell Our Stories
Kewpie dolls were used to promote many things in the 1920s, from Jell-O to women’s suffrage. Let me introduce Pauline. She is remarkably well preserved for her age. And unlike many of us older folks, everything still pretty much works. Her large blue eyes, shiny as glass, look straight ahead and are framed by arched brows and delicate lashes. The skin on her arms and legs is just a little wrinkled and patched in a few places. Her rosy-cheeked face is[... see full page]