Duncan Walker

April 26, 1883 – Duncan Walker, owner of Walker’s Saloon and Restaurant on Main Street, died suddenly of pneumonia. Born near Montreal, Canada about 1848, Duncan came to the Mendocino Coast around 1869. An early settler of the region, he built a cabin on his ranch property just north of Kibesillah. H. E. Whipple described him as, “a very capable and faithful hand on the farm or in the redwoods.” Around 1875, Duncan became one of the coast’s first stagecoach learn more…

The Unknown Sailor

April 23, 2013 – The remains of a 19th-century “Unknown Sailor” were re-interred in Evergreen Cemetery, approximately 150 years after his death. His skeleton had been discovered buried in a redwood coffin on the bluff at the edge of the Mendocino headlands. Katy Tahja reported for the Beacon, “On April 21, 1986, a hiker reported he found bones sticking out of the earth and Mendocino’s “Mystery Man” was found.  Breck Parkman, a senior archaeologist with State Parks, headed the project learn more…

Occidental Hotel Livery Stable

April 22, 1899 – The Occidental Hotel’s livery stable was destroyed by fire. Shortly after 5 am, heavy smoke was discovered coming from the roof of the barn located southeast of the intersection of Lansing and Main Streets. The Beacon reported, “The fire bell was rung, and before many minutes a sufficient number had responded to the call to get out the fire apparatus and haul it to the scene of action. The fire gained rapid headway, however, and before learn more…

Elevated View of Mendocino, c. 1909

Elevated view of the town of Mendocino c. 1909. View is looking southeastward from the corner of Lansing and Main Streets, and probably taken from the Kelley water tower. Power poles are on both sides of Main Street. In the immediate foreground is the roof of the old Kelley Building. Right front is the Occidental Hotel with a water tower and windmill behind it. Traveling east (left) on Main Street is the William Norton house built in 1884, then the learn more…

Wreck of the Smilax

April 18, 1923 – A fatal train wreck occurred on the Caspar Railroad when the Caspar Lumber Company engine “Smilax” derailed after hitting two horses on the Digger Creek trestle. The engine was bringing in twelve loaded cars of logs, when the crew spotted the two horses on the tracks about 9 pm. The approach to the trestle was slightly down grade, and it was impossible to stop the train. Following the impact, the locomotive left the rails. The Beacon learn more…

Easter Sunrise Service

April 17, 1927 – An Easter Sunrise Service was held on high school hill, the first of its kind to be held on the Mendocino Coast. The Beacon described the scene, “Easter morning dawned bright and beautiful and a group of worshipers gathered on high school hill to greet the rising sun and hold religious services. The high school piano had been moved out of doors for the occasion and seats for 100 were provided. At 5:30 the sun arose learn more…

John Edward Carlson

April 16, 1899 – One of Mendocino’s earliest pioneers, John Edward Carlson passed away in San Francisco at the home of his son Edward. “He had been ill for some months with cancer of the throat, but was able to be up and around until a short time before his death. Although he had been a great sufferer, his end came peacefully and was due to heart failure.” Born in Sweden in 1827, Carlson left home at 16 to follow learn more…

Melody’s Cookies

Melody’s Cookies opened in 1973 on Lansing Street across from Mendosa’s grocery store. Owner Melody Joy sold giant ginger, peanut butter, chocolate chip, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The cookie shop’s little building was constructed in the 1960s as the office of McDonell’s lumber yard. The Beacon predicted that Melody’s Cookies “should become a popular shop for snackers.” The cookies were enjoyed by both locals and tourists. In 1975, actor Clint Eastwood stayed at Little River Inn and toured Mendocino. “He learn more…

Cathrin Denslow Morgan

April 12, 1925 – Cathrin Morgan died from pneumonia in Long Beach at the age of 72. Described by the Beacon as one of the community’s best beloved and finest characters, Cathrin, “as had been her custom for some five or six years past, was spending the winter with her son in the southern city,” when she came down with the flu, which didn’t respond to treatment. “She made a brave fight but her advanced years were against her.” Born learn more…

Run-Away Lumber Cars

April 11, 1928 – A tremendous crash was heard at 7:30 AM throughout Mendocino as eight train cars loaded with lumber ran through the Shipping Point’s loading shed and fell to the rocks below. The Beacon reported, “When the crew of the steamer Noyo and the longshoremen were busily engaged in loading the boat with lumber, a train of eight cars coupled together and manned by a crew of three men started down from the yard with a heavy load learn more…