Many of these articles have been published in the Mendocino Beacon’s Kelley House Calendar.
Flong but not Forgotten
The Kelley House has two postcards with photographs of the now gone Southside Hotel in Albion. Until recently, that’s about all we had to remember the once popular complex of buildings that Bob Kerr and Joe Rushing started in 1903. The Southside Hotel on the south side of the Albion River in 1904, with its dance hall under construction behind it. (Kelley House Museum Photo Archives) The hotel was located on the Coast Road near the draw bridge which once carried traffic[... see full page]
History & More Book Sale
Fundraisers are always appropriate for a small museum when coming out of tough times. So, Kelley House will host a HISTORY & MORE book sale on Saturday, May 29th, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the east porch of the museum. Find unusual books this Saturday at the Kelley House Book Sale, May 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on our East Porch. Parking on Main or Albion Streets. Visit the Museum, too! Open 11:00 – 3:00 Saturdays and Sundays. Curated[... see full page]
The Jasperson House
Everett Racine’s photograph of the Mendocino Grammar School and its neighborhood, taken between 1921 and 1929 before it burned down. According to reports, the building was situated on the lot's center so as to separate the boys/girls play yards. The first Mendocino High School is the large building at the top with a rounded cupola, replaced with the present building in 1949. The first Saint Anthony’s Catholic Church and its bell tower is to the right – it burned in[... see full page]
Kelley House docents David and Katy Tahja are rockhounds. Their idea of a perfect day is being out in the middle of no place with interesting rock samples peeking out of an easily accessible creek bed. Sliced Coprolite, or paleo feces. The Tahjas have coprolites from their collection on view at the Kelley House (Attribution 2.0 Generic CC BY 2.0, Flickr) Their explorations have taken them to the empty back country of California, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, and Wyoming, following leads they gleaned[... see full page]
Two History Mysteries
Hello All! Here are a couple of intriguing photos we want to know more about.
Prehistory at Albion Head
An archaeology dig of a Native American camp site on Albion Head? Yes! Of course, it was 40 years ago, but the late Dr. Richard White wrote about it in a short feature story called Prehistory of Albion, found in issue 42 of his “Mendocino Medicine and Gazetteer.” An Albion flintknapper used obsidian stone, bottom left, to produce a new projectile point, similar to artifacts found at Albion Head. (Point from Katy Tahja Collection. Line sketch from “Mendocino Medicine & Gazetteer,”[... see full page]