Making History Blog

Many of these articles have been published in the Mendocino Beacon’s Kelley House Calendar.

Airplane Arrives From Ukiah

Airplane Arrives From Ukiah
July 17, 1930 - J. W. Moore and P. W. Cleary flew their airplane from Ukiah to Mendocino. What had been a day-long trip in a horse-drawn carriage only a few years before was now completed in just 25 minutes. Aerial view of the town of Mendocino and mouth of Big River looking east, c. 1941-1958. (Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs) The aviators taught at a flight school in Ukiah and had started out that morning with Fort Bragg in mind[... see full page]

St. Vincent's Catholic Church Demolished

St. Vincent's Catholic Church Demolished
July 16, 1921 - Work began to dismantle Saint Vincent’s, the first Catholic Church building in Mendocino County. Located on Little Lake Road, the church site is now part of Hillcrest Cemetery, and a tall white cross marks the approximate place where the building once stood. St. Vincent's Church in Mendocino. View is looking northeast up Lansing Street. Next to the church and to the right is the home of Daniel Milliken, an early lumber contractor, which was demolished in 1946.[... see full page]

Tenez for Mendocino

Tenez for Mendocino
With the 2021 Wimbledon Tennis Championships wrapped up, let’s take a look at where tennis was played in Mendocino. Mendocino High School Tennis Champs, 1927 - 1928.  L-R: Louis Borgna, Grace Nichols, Morton Swales, Thelma Silvia and Clarence Hamblin. Kelley House has documented five tennis courts in town, starting in 1892 at the Morgan residence on Little Lake Street. At present, this is the site of the Art Center, but from 1890 to 1956, the town’s only bona fide mansion occupied most[... see full page]

Mule Team and Wagon

Mule Team and Wagon
Mule team and wagon hauling freight from the Shipping Point in Mendocino, c. 1900. Portuguese Beach is in the background. The first two mules have a set of bells on their harnesses to warn others along the road of their approach. The driver is unknown. This is probably one of Ed Boyle's outfits taking supplies to Boyle's Camp up Big River. (The William Ferrill Collection, Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs) Shopping on Amazon? Donate to the Kelley House at no[... see full page]

Construction of Apple Hall

Construction of Apple Hall
July 13, 1912 - The Farmers & Apple Growers Association announced plans to build Apple Hall. This 40 by 100 foot exhibition hall was built to house the annual Apple Fair. 1912 Parade at Apple Hall. Parade in front of Apple Hall in Mendocino celebrating the second annual Apple Fair and the first time the fair was held in this newly constructed building. (Emery Escola, Emery Escola Collection, Kelley House Photographs) The previous Fall, a group of local farmers had organized an[... see full page]

Liberty Theatre Sold

Liberty Theatre Sold
Liberty Theatre on the left, 1923. On the right, this photo shows the demolition of the former Switzer and Boyd Livery Stables on the northwest corner of Albion and Lansing Streets. The building was torn down by George Daniels to make way for his large automobile garage, now referred to as the Shell Building.The building farther down the street at the intersection with Main Street is the old Kelley Store building. At the time this photo was taken, it was[... see full page]