Museum Curator Job Announcement
The Kelley House Museum in Mendocino, California seeks a Museum Curator responsible for the development and management of the museum, archives, and its exhibition programs. The Curator is the public face for the museum, archives, education, and all related activities. The Curator also assists with donor development, marketing efforts, community outreach and general operations. This is a part-time, 25-hour a week position that reports to the Director. Salary range $23-$25/hour, depending on experience.
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Curator Position as subject. Deadline to apply is May 31, 2022. No calls please. Kelley House is an equal opportunity employer.
Curator Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Development, management and interpretation of the Kelley House Museum collections. Implement policies and procedures to improve the general operations of the museum as well as coordinating interpretive exhibits, assisting the volunteer docent coordinator, overseeing publicity for exhibits and special events.
- Assess and plan for both the short-term and long-term needs of the collections, including preservation needs and priorities.
- Provide responsible stewardship for the material and intellectual resources of the institution.
- Work with the Director and Board of Directors on budgetary and planning priorities. Manage and maintain financial practices of the organization in accordance with Board approved budgets.
- Evaluate, identify and work with Director to pursue new funding opportunities for the organization that will result in revenue and membership growth.
- Oversees and executes school educational and community outreach programs.
- Oversees development, publication, and updating of Kelley House works of historic interest. Works with writers and other contributors to better interpret our local history.
Educational and Professional Experience
MA in Museum Studies or related field and/or a combination of education and work experience indicating an ability to effectively perform functions of the position. Excellent computer skills (Adobe, MS suite) and familiarity with digital archiving. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of the organization and local community.
About the Kelley House
The Kelley House Museum and Archives is located in Mendocino, on the northern coast of California, about 150 miles north of the city of San Francisco. The town is a National Historic Preservation District. The Kelley House’s mission is to collect, preserve and share the rich history of the Mendocino Coast. The Kelley House was built in 1861 as a family residence and converted to a museum and research facility in 1973. The archives are the only museum-quality storage and research facility open to visitors on the Mendocino Coast.